PLANT NURSERIES – HARIYALI’S SUPPORT SYSTEM:
Plant Nurseries have been a source of inspiration and one of the main activities Centre at respective
locations of Hariyali. This is the first platform for a nature lover to know about Hariyali, it’s
coordinators and way of doing things. Old and new friends meet here with a common commitment
to the environmental cause.
Hariyali, as a plantation policy, nurtures saplings of a variety of forest friendly species here.
on such robust trees rather than ornamental plants. Nature lovers donate seeds and saplings to the
activity. Apart from the traditional Saplings making activity and seeds Collection, there is an array
activities that are carried out here. Nurseries have been the support systems to the various
plantation Projects over the years with annual capacity to make 10,000 to 15,000 saplings. Skill
training and upgradation programs are conducted for Hariyali volunteers which in turn result in
smoother conduct of plantation sessions. Interactive sessions on various environmental topics such
as Composting, Carbon print are also conducted here for participants as a value addition.
ACTIVITIES AT THE NURSERIES:
Besides the preparation and nurturing of the saplings various other related but useful activities are
also carried out at the nurseries. Exhibition of medicinal plants is held in collaboration with MCGM,
once in 3 years to make the people aware of the importance of medicinal plants. Workshops are
organized during such exhibitions. Information booklet on medicinal plants is also prepared and
made available to people.
The Nurseries act as a primary training centre for the plantation activity and new volunteers take
their first hands on lesson here, in the nursery. Another supportive but useful activity is natural
composting. Compost is prepared on site and lessons are imparted on the techniques. The in-house
compost is used for plantation activity.
- 1. Hariyali nursery at Kasarvadavli, Thane HO.
- 2. Hariyali nursery at Murar Road, Mulund Branch.
Do you wish to have a better understanding of the procedure and the activity carried out at the
here... to know the activity at Hariyali’s nursery.
DO YOU KNOW?
- That school and college students, in large numbers, participate in seed sowing and sapling
care activities. For associated schools and colleges click here…
- That Hariyali makes saplings of about 15- 20 species of trees used for its plantation sessions
- That the Thane (TMC) and Mumbai (BMC) Municipal Corporation are active stake holders
and supporters in the respective nursery activity.
- Hariyali does not grow saplings of flowering, ornamental or plants of fruiting varieties,
neither does it accept nor deliver such saplings.
If you feel excited, to try sapling making hands on, peek at some pictures of the activity on site
- Nursery activities are conducted through public participation only, right from junior school
students, various social clubs, corporate and enthusiastic individuals.
- Saplings of only forest-friendly trees such as Karanj, Moha, Beheda, Bahava, Palash, Jambhul,
Chinch, Putranjeeva, Arjun, Vilayati Chinch etc. are developed by Hariyali at its nurseries.
- Approximately 3000(5000) saplings of various species are developed at each nursery
annually. The saplings so developed are nurtured at the respective nursery for 1-2 years till
they become 2-3 feet high, ready for plantation at Hariyali’s plantation sites.
- Corporates, social clubs and well-wishers of Hariyali are welcome to contribute to this cause
by supporting financially for various maintenance activities and expenses.
- For procedure for requisitioning of saplings click here.
- Hariyali collects seeds for sapling making through dedicated seed collection sessions. Any
nature lover can join such session.
- Empty milk pouches donated by members and nature lovers are used to sow seeds and
germinate saplings; you too can donate pouches and seeds or saplings.
- Composting is also done on site to support the saplings with natural fertilizers
- Preparing own saplings makes Hariyali’s plantation activity extremely cost effective
- Youngsters get their first practical lessons in nature conservation at the nursery.